Translate

Tuesday 21 June 2016

Tri Fold Shutter Card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you've all had a brilliant weekend and for those of you blessed enough to have a dad or father figure in your life, I hope you had chance to spend some time with them for Father's Day. I'm blessed to have a wonderful dad-in-law (and mum-in-law too!) and although I've not been very well this weekend I did make a couple of cards for him which I sent up with Chris. I've already shared the first card which was the pop up tool box but I wanted to make him a second card just in case he'd seen the first one online. I've noticed that tri shutter cards are becoming very popular again and this is a style of card that passed me by first time around probably because I didn't have a decent score board (I love my Hougie!) and I thought it would be perfect for a Father's Day card. I watched a couple of tutorials on YouTube and the one that seemed easiest to follow was by Lindsay Weirich AKA The Frugal Crafter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UP1RFlovgQ please click this link for instructions on how to make a tri shutter card blank (and a few tips on how to decorate it). One of the reasons I choose to follow this tutorial is that as well as the instructions being easy to follow, the actual card can be made using a single sheet of A4 card, others I've seen require 12" x 12" card stock and I don't have a great deal of plain card weight 12" x 12" in my stash. This card isn't the easiest to make down to the two horizontal cuts that run across the card 1.5" in and down but that's down to the fact I have a Woodware trimmer which doesn't show exactly where the blade is going to cut, I did try using a scalpel but the reverse side of the card was ragged which I didn't like so I ended up nudging the blade very carefully when I was near the termination points for the cuts so I didn't over cut it. I'm not going to rehash how to make this card because Lindsay Weirich puts it much better than I can so please check out this tutorial and others over at YouTube.











I decorated the card blank with about half a sheet of double sided cardstock from a 12" x 12" paperstack from The Works called Vintage Experience (no longer in stock) and diecut the word out of silver mirror card and black card. I actually diecut the word 4 times in total because when I ordered the Spellbinders D-Lites dies from Craft Stash I misread the word RAD and thought it said DAD lol, with an extra bit of diecutting and a snip or two I was able to transform rad into dad as shown. The die was from one of the Hipster collections (1 or 2), the arrow was diecut using another Spellbinders D-Lites die 'Ornate Arrows'. The shields were stamped using a Mr Mister stamp set and coloured in using Flexmarkers, I don't have a matching die but they were easy enough to cut around using a pair of scissors. I added the shields to the panels using foam pads for a bit of height. I made a matching envelope using my WRMK Envelope Punch Board out of a sheet of 8" x 8" decorative paper. I thoroughly enjoyed making this card even if it a tad tricky cutting it.  Interactive cards are my favourite sort of card to give to men because the wow factor is in the construction rather than the decoration and as my husband is very fond of telling me "men don't like fussy cards!".

I hope this post hasn't been too long and boring for you - I've added a lot of photos just because the card looks so different depending on what angle you look at it from and I also wanted to show that word dies can be tweaked if you accidentally order the wrong one - at least it could in this case! I really like the Vintage Experience paperstack from The Works, their scrapbook papers are beautiful and very reasonably priced, I really hope that they'll bring this one back onto their website as I'd love to get some more at some point. The only thing I would possibly change is I'd like to see the paperstacks in the 8" x 8" and not just 12" x 12" and 6" x 6" as this is a more useful size for me.

I'll have another card to share in the next couple of days so until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx