Translate

Saturday 19 May 2018

I can see right through you..... (or I can see clearly now, the card has gone... lol)

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you are all enjoying the weekend, here in the UK the big event has been of course the Royal Wedding which I have cheerfully avoided ;) the only wedding's that's interested me this week was the SHAMY wedding on TBBT which happened on Thursday on E4 - I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to see what happens in the next series.

Have you ever had an idea for a card but not had time to actually make it and end up kicking yourself because someone else makes it first so it looks like you've copied them when you finally get around to it? Well I'm very much kicking myself at the moment! As you've probably noticed I'm really loving the impossible card which has taken the card making community by storm. It was shown first on FB by the Trimcraft Blog team, quickly picked up by a couple of people on YouTube and is now everywhere, I'm on a constant lookout for new card blank designs and was pretty much one of the first peeps to blog about them after first seeing the post on FB then googling it and coming up with only two tutorials on YT. About a week or so ago I was wondering if you could make one out of acetate but I had a shed load of other cards to make and tbh I wasn't really sure where my sheets of acetate were at that point (I've been trying to save some of my good acetate recently by using old packaging when making pop up box cards etc so I put my acetate away to prevent me from using it out of habit). and decided to make a clear impossible card at a later date. The upshot of it is the Trimcraft Blog have beaten me to it and have a very quick tutorial on YouTube   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoANHY0I3Q with their version of a see through impossible card. My attempt is a lot more see through than theirs because I've not put any layers on mine, just a topper and a few steampunk elements.




In a way I'm grateful that Trimcraft made their card first because I probably wouldn't have made a card template to put behind the acetate and use it to cut the various lines like I did after viewing the tutorial, I'm not exactly known for taking the easy option in things and would have struggled with measuring and marking a very slippy surface if left to my own devices whereas putting the template behind the acetate (I held it in place with a couple of bulldog clips to prevent the acetate shifting while I cut) and cutting through both the acetate and the card is a much smarter and easier way of doing things - I've kept the template in a pocket of my card shape notebook for future use. So if you want to make one of these see through cards yourself I'd recommend making a paper or card template first just to make things easier.  My acetate is cut to 5" x 7" but because the clock topper overlaps the top edge of the card base, I'll need to make an extra large envelope for it before it can be posted. I wanted to make a steampunk themed acetate card because I love steampunk and I had a couple of Memory Box Steampunk Corner diecuts left over from the first anniversary card I made for my sister and brother-in-law earlier in the week (see below for photos). I've actually still got those diecuts because I realised that it would be incredibly time consuming (and fiddly!) to try and glue them to the acetate without making a complete mess of things and it would be a lot simpler to cover the back of the foiled card with d/s tape and die cut them out again using the Memory Box die. Once it was die cut it was a simple matter to just peel all the backing off and stick it onto the acetate as shown. There was a little bit of the die cut overhanging the acetate but I just trimmed those parts off and added them to the acetate in a different place. I also used Keys & Keyholes die plate by Die-Versions for the keyholes and the Make Time Perfect Partners Time Traveller die by Sheena Douglass/Crafter's Companion which was die cut twice. I also used a Sizzix Bigz circle die for the black circles behind the clock faces. I think this card's got a real wow factor but I'm not sure who I'm going to send it to, it might just end up in a box waiting for a home.

Here are a couple of other cards I've been making this week. It was my nephew's 15th birthday on the 15th and my sister's first wedding anniversary on the 16th (it was also my God Daughter's first birthday on the 17th but I forgot to charge the batteries for my camera so didn't get to take any photos!)










The  music/star themed impossible card had a mini seed packet on the underside with some money for my nephew. Black and silver may not be a traditional colour combo for an anniversary card but I think it looks very classy and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

I hope you like my latest makes, I'm hoping to create a few more cards during the rest of the weekend. Whatever you've got planned I hope have a good weekend and until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

2 comments:

  1. WOW-your Cards look amazing!! The impossible card looks so impressive, I’d love to try to make one.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. One of the things I love most about the impossible card is that it looks really impressive but is really simple to make. You'll have to try it and let me see what you make.

      Crafty hugs,

      Sarah xxx

      Delete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx