Translate

Thursday 24 May 2018

A Shabby Chic-y Pillar Fold Card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you've all had a brilliant week and have something fabulous planned for the weekend. It's another Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK which probably means it'll be raining lol. It doesn't make much difference to me personally because we don't tend to go out on Sundays or Bank Holidays since they stopped the town buses, if we do go out we have to get a taxi there and back which is rather costly as you can imagine. I'm hoping to get lots of crafting done, cricket starts later today which should keep my hubby occupied. You'll have to excuse any typos or general rambling in this post as I'm actually writing it at 3.30am! I love watching The 100 on E4 but it clashed with other programmes I watch so I had to stay awake until 3am to watch it (well worth it!) I used the time in between programmes productively though and tried a new to me card fold called the Pillar Fold Card - I saw a tutorial by Mixed Up Craft on YouTube (she's rapidly becoming one of my favourite crafters) and I've adapted it slightly as Sam used a piece of card 6" x 12" and I made my version using an A4 sheet of card cut to 6 1/2"  by the A4 length. Here is a link to Sam's video tutorial on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-qBlOx0OA .







I made this card pretty much the same way that Sam did apart from the scoring is slightly different on one side. I cut the A4 card down it was 6 1/4" in height but with the full length of the A4 remaining - I can't really give you the exact measurement because whoever came up with A4 decided it should be a really stupid length - it's about 8 1/4" in width (21cm) but lengthways it's 29 and a bit cms, but to be honest it doesn't really matter what the actual length is because after scoring the card on the left side I rotated the card and did the exact same scorelines on the other side so they are both equal. If you want to make a card like this and don't have any plain 12" x 12" cardstock to cut down, just use A4 like I have. From the left side score at 1/4", 1 1/4", 2 1/4" and 3 1/4" then rotate your card so the score marks are to the right hand side and repeat the scorelines. Burnish the scorelines on both sides and add strong double sided tape to the 1/4" flaps on the ends. Decorate the middle panel and the panels of the Pillars with decorative paper - I used K&Company Brenda Walton 8.5" x 8.5" designer papers which have been languishing in my crudy for YEARS!!!! I cut the papers approximately 1/4" smaller than the panels so that there's a 1/8" border around them, I actually did my first try at this design with a complete sheet of A4 and decorated it with 8" scrapbook papers so it's possible to go from 5" in height up to 8 1/4" depending on if/how you cut your card so it's best to just measure the panels of your card and cut your designer paper accordingly. The bridging piece was cut to 5" by 2" and layered with a piece of designer paper 1/4" smaller to leave the border as shown. It's quite difficult to explain how to make the pillars so bear with me or better still check out  Sam's video so she can show you how to do it. Basically what you need to do is decorate the card with the mats, remove the liner tape on the 1/4" flap and fold it over facing the inside of the card along with the next scored panel so that there are only two panels facing you, press down and 'pop' up the column pulling it up until it forms the pillar. Repeat on the other side and add the bridging piece. I found it easiest if I folded the columns flat and lined the left edge of the bridge piece with the left edge of the flattened column - I added 3/4" wide d/s tape to each end of the bridging piece and stuck down the left side first. I then pushed both the columns down and carefully removed the backing from the tape, lining the right edge of the bridge piece with the right hand edge of the card, once stuck the columns pop back up once pressure is removed. I then decorated it with a 3D butterfly die cut out of the same papers as the panels using a Memory Box Butterfly die (die cut three times and stuck wing to wing so it pops up, I wrapped thin black wire to form the body and it's feelers) a birdcage cut out of foiled card using a Marianne's Design die and a layered flower using a generic die from my stash. I added gold pearl effects to the centre of the flower and stamped a sentiment onto a small tag which I then tied to the birdcage with some black and white bakers' twine. This card probably isn't a truly shabby chic card but as near as I can get it - the layered shabby look just looks messy when I attempt it but I really love this version!  I've made this card for my friend's birthday but I'm half tempted to keep it for myself as I think it's really pretty.

I hope you like my latest card, please check out Sam's video (link above) and let me know if you give this a try yourself - I'd love to see what you come up with. Have a great weekend my lovely crafty peeps and until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

2 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful card, it’s gorgeous. No wonder you’re tempted to keep it, I would if I’d made something so lovely.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele, I'm glad you like it. You'll have to try it out yourself, I think they'd go down well at craft fairs etc.

      Crafty hugs,

      Sarah xxxx

      Delete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx