Translate

Friday 27 May 2016

Starlet Double Wiper Card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! It's the start of another bank holiday weekend here in the UK which means extra craft time - woo hoo! I've been working on a couple of projects recently and I'd like to share the first with you now. One of the designer team's cards on Passion for Promakers intrigued me last week as it was a card shape I'd not come across before so I clicked on the link and discovered it was something called a wiper card. I looked on Youtube and found a tutorial by Splitcoaststampers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDrn0UG2Bto (please click the link for instructions on how to make a single wiper card). There was also a tutorial for a window wiper card (a double wiper) by Tinkerella on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z0NqSscvhQ. This second tutorial makes a card slightly smaller than the first tutorial so I decided to combine the two ideas and make a double wiper card in the larger size.

Starlet card front

Close up of "Startlet" ~Verity Rose from Crafter's Companion

Open double wiper card (front)

Double star on the right front wiper

Die cut clapper board left wiper

Back view of open double wiper card

double star back wiper

Side panels with die cut stars on rear of card

Side panels with die cut stars on front of card

Starlet is ready for her close up *winks*
Sorry there are so many photos but there are a lot of elements to this card and I wanted you to be able to see the full effect (without seeing it in person) as best as I could. If I had a proper camera I would have videoed a tutorial and added it to this blog but unfortunately my camera finds it difficult to take unblurry photos most of the time lol (it must be in a good mood at the moment because these are really clear for a change!)

In addition to the Crafter's Companion Verity Rose "Starlet" stamp, I used the matching accessories stamps and dies (camera), a Kanban Tickets stamp set (the stars on the ticket), a nesting Creative Dies set "stars", a Tim Holtz Ticket strip die, a labels die set (back panel die cut) and a movie themed set of dies from First Editions (small stars, clapper board and film strip.) The papers were from a 6" x 6" paper stack by Dovecraft Basic Blacks and the silver, holographic black and glitter card were scraps left from other projects. Starlet's skin and eyes were coloured in using Promarkers (three shades of green on her eyes!) and her clothes and hair etc were coloured in using Crafter's Companion Sparkle brush markers in black and grey. I added a Craftworks Card Candi in silver foil on her head piece.

I really love this card and I'll admit that it isn't the easiest card to make in fact my first attempt at making a double wiper card went drastically wrong and my wipers were visible when the card was 'shut' and vanished when it was opened lol - I'm still not sure what went wrong. This card is a little on the thick side so you'll probably end up paying extra postage on it so I recommend hand delivering it - for the look on the recipient's face as much as saving postage. I can see a lot of potential cards - Hallow'een would be great for this sort of card as you could have pop-up ghosts or vampire bats and you can always have sentiment panels on the wipers too so you can personalise the card for any occasion. I hope I've inspired you to make your own wiper card, I haven't written the instructions because the Splitcoaststampers tutorial is brilliant and I know I find it easier to watch a video rather than follow written instructions (I write all the new to me card styles down in a book for future reference) but if you'd like a written tutorial on how to make this card then please leave a message in the comments section and I'll try to do a detailed written tutorial with photos of each step in the near future.

I hope you've liked this card as much as I have (I want to keep it!!) and if it inspires you to make your own version then please let me know and share a link to your blog in the comments section as I'd love to see what everyone comes up with. I'm hoping to add a new blog post in the next day or two as I've made a fantastic card for Father's Day that I'd like to share. Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx