Translate

Sunday 25 January 2015

Birthday Star Card

Hello crafty peeps, welcome to my crafty nook. I mentioned in my last blog that I needed to make a card for Steve, Isobel's daddy and I'd like to share the card I've come up with. Originally I wanted to make an iPhone shaker card using a stamp set from Clearly Besotted called "Text Me" and I got as far as making the shaker element. Unfortunately after I'd made the shaker iPhone I had a craft block and couldn't think of what to put on the rest of the card! I've decided to shelve the shaker card for now and instead I made a star card using a star stencil that came free with issue 130 Simply Cards & Papercraft magazine (talking of which check out this month's issue which has a huge stamp set from Clearly Besotted stamps with It!!!) and the nesting stars dies that came free with Simply Homemade magazine a couple of issues ago.

Star card using magazine freebies

I used the stencil straight onto a 5" square card blank and added different coloured chalk inks using a sponge dauber. While the inks dried I die cut the stars out using holographic card in gold and silver. I layered them together to make the first star shape then just die cut the second using the smallest star die. This die also embosses a small flower in the centre which I thought was too girly so I punched out a small star out of black holographic card. As I had the punch to hand I punched as many stars as I could using the leftover card pieces from the die cutting. I nestled the smaller die cut star inside the larger and secured them together using some clear tape on the back, I added the black star to cover the embossed flower using a small foam pad, then added the star embellishment to the centre of the stamped card blank. I accidentally got a mark near the top of the card so wrapped bakers twine to cover over it and finished with a bow.


Close up of star embellishment

The free stencil also came with some stamps and I used the Happy Birthday! greeting from it to stamp inside the card. The stamps had to be primed with sandpaper a lot to get a decent image and even after sanding it 4 times I still didn't get a good impression so I went over it with a ProMarker multi liner pen. I added 7 of the punched stars to the left hand side and stuck them down inside the card.



I hope you like my latest card, I've three more cards to make in the next week or two which I hope to be able to share with you too. I'll probably be taking part in the Passion for ProMarkers blog challenge on Tuesday and I'll share my card/project once it's made but until then enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

2 comments:

  1. Totally cool! LOVE the colors you used to stencil and I bet that star is SUPER shiny!!! LOVE it! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mynn, I don't do much stencilling so this was an interesting card to make, I like the way the chalk inks dry - it's a lot smoother looking then Distress Inks. I'm hoping to get some texture paste at some point as I think this star stencil would be great to use it with. Thank you for taking the time to comment - it's much appreciated. Crafty hugs Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx