Translate

Sunday 26 April 2015

Tool Time Bookmark

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you are all well and enjoying this lovely spring weather, I've been avoiding it indoors as everyone seems to be cutting their grass at the moment and its playing havoc with my hay fever, still it's nice to view it through panes of glass lol. I haven't been up to much crafting this week as I'm still dealing with the kitchen, it's amazing I managed to empty it overnight but it's taking WEEKS to put everything back. I blame this on my desire to have things perfect and to be honest my lovely husband's unthinking sabotage, every time I get one area sorted he comes along and wrecks it! It is really disheartening and exhausting to keep cleaning the same areas repeatedly. Moan over (for now anyway lol)

I decided to have a little break yesterday and made a bookmark using the Tool Time die set I mentioned in the last post (I knew it would be a good investment!).

Kraft card Tool Time bookmark

I have a folder of scraps of kraft card stock so I used one of them to use as the base of the bookmark. I carefully lined up a labels shape die near the top of the bookmark and secured it with washi tape so it didn't shift while cutting and then I lined the cutting plates of my Sizzix Big Shot so that the top edges were on the middle section of the die then ran it through my machine. Because the cutting plates don't cover all the die it means it isn't subjected to the pressure that the covered areas of the die are and I got a partial cut (the photo below shows this flap more clearly). I removed the tape from the die and using a eyelet setter and punch added a gold coloured eyelet to the point of the flap (as shown). I die cut all the pieces I needed using scraps of kraft card and the MFT Tool Time die set. I covered the parts of the tools I wanted to look metallic with Versamark ink and silver embossing powder then I heat set it using a heat gun. The handles were coloured using markers and the tools were assembled using Dovecraft pearl effects in clear (fantastic adhesive even if it's not designed as one). It's important to use a strong adhesive to any surface that's been heat embossed because the embossing powder contains wax and a lot of glues just slide off. I used the same 'glue' to fix the tools onto the bookmark.

Bookmark with page 'grabber' open

A bookmark maybe a bit 'old hat' in these days of Kindles etc but I'm intending on including it with a book for someone's birthday, the book is a wood workbook so I thought the tools were a cute addition to the bookmark. The 'page grabber' at the top of the bookmark means that even if you shake the book or accidentally drop it, it should still mark the place you want saving. I really enjoyed making the bookmark, it's a quick gift idea that's thin enough to include in cards without adding too much bulk so I think I'll be making quite a few more especially for Christmas - and for those with electronic books I'll just have to buy a real book for them to read. lol.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this post and if you make a bookmark yourself, I'd love to see them. As always if you have any comments or questions then please leave them in the usual places. Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx