Translate

Monday 21 August 2017

Hello Strangers......Part Two

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you've all had a brilliant weekend, I spend a lot of mine trying to make a card for my husband who is celebrating his birthday today (Monday). My crafty mojo is on a go-slow at the mo (lol) so it took quite a while to come up with an idea for his card and even longer to make it - I'll be sharing his card in another post (aren't I a card tease lol). As promised I will be sharing my cards for the last blog challenge that started over a month ago. I've not even had the chance to email these cards to Michele (actually the first card I'll be sharing is on it's way to her via snail mail or will be once I've posted it - I'm so behind at the moment!!!) so they'll be a surprise for her too.

Here are some of the scraps I used or drew inspiration from to make my cards.






This is actually only a small fraction of my scraps, I couldn't fit them all on my desk and a lot of my scraps are kept with the full sized or entire pieces for example I have a pack of Centura Pearls card stock in Darks and I keep the open pack in a A4 wallet folder and the scraps in a A5 plastic wallet folder inside the other one so I always know where things are and aren't tempted to break into a fresh A4 sheet if I have a scrap of it in the plastic wallet already. The same applies for most of my other supplies and I even have A5 plastic wallets full of made toppers that I've ended up not using.  Here is the first card I made (and the one that's just an ordinary card because I forgot the second part of the challenge!)





The main piece of torn card stock was already coloured, embossed with a floral embossing folder and distressed before I added it to the A6 card blank. I added Dovecraft red glitter glue to the centre of the flowers and set it to one side to dry while I worked on the sentiment. I stamped the sentiment on a scrap of white cardstock using black ink and then diecut a flower out of holographic foiled card (from my scrap folder) the die came free with Crafts Beautiful a few months ago. I added a gem to the centre and added it to the side of the sentiment strip with a small piece of foam tape. Once the glitter glue was dried I added it to the card as shown. The card looked pretty enough but lacked something so I added a load of sequins from an autumn themed collection and added small red gems to some of the sequins but left the flower ones plain. It's really pretty in real life - really sparkly but it's not easy to pick that up in a photo unfortunately.

After Michele sent me her gorgeous creation (see previous post) I realised I'd forgotten to do half the challenge so decided to make a second card. Again apart from the card base itself which was cut to 8" x 8" from an A4 sheet of card, all the rest of the pieces came from my scrap collection, in this case the Centura pearl darks collection.







I couldn't think what sort of new fancy fold card to make for the second part of the challenge as there's not been a lot of new fancy folds around (at least not ones I've seen anyway), I tried making a central fold stepper card as Michele very kindly sent me some blank ones ages ago but I managed to make a real pig's ear of it and it ended up ironically enough in my scraps folder! I didn't want to risk messing up a second one so flicked through a couple of magazines for inspiration. I saw a Tower Fold card in Papercraft Inspirations magazine but it didn't have any instructions on how to make it and when I checked on YouTube - my usual go to for tutorials - there wasn't anything like it (bet they'll be loads now lol) so I googled it and found the instructions on Pinterest. I can't remember who made either the original card or the one with instructions but I will link the latter if I make another card and share the tutorial - as so often happens this isn't an exact copy as I tweaked it a bit. I'll be totally honest with you, this wasn't the easiest card to make as it involves a lot of cutting with a scalpel and my cutting abilities are poor whether I'm using scissors or a cutting blade so I'm not sure if I will be making a similar card anytime soon. It took a couple of attempts to get it right and I actually discovered that a thinner card works best instead of the thick Sheena's Stamping card that was my first choice. All the panels and stars were made from scraps in my folder and the stars were die cut using a set of nesting star dies, the only non scrap items were the card base itself and two gems from my stash. The card doesn't have a sentiment at the moment but it would be simple enough to stamp one on card, diecut it out in a circle and layer it on the large circle on the bottom right.

I hope you like my scrap raider challenge card with a bonus fancy fold card. We'll be starting another card challenge at the end of the month which will be a lot of fun and involves the free gift with this month's Papercraft Essentials magazine - some super cute gnomes perfect for Christmas!

As always if you have any questions or comments then please leave them in the usual places and until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards Sarah-the second one looks quite complicated.

    You certainly do have a lot of scraps..!! I'll take some photos of how I've catalogued my card stock, papers so you can see how much I've accumulated.

    Looking forward to starting our next challenge using the Gnome set of Dies & stamps.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele - the second card isn't as complicated as it looks especially if you have a scoring board, it's just a bit fiddly cutting between the two score lines that make up the side panels.

      I'd love to see your photos, I need to get a better system in place because I often forget about my scraps until after I've finished.

      Have you seen the gnomes Craftstash.co.uk video on YouTube? They are bringing out additional images that go with the one we got free! I'm not sure if they are the same size as that was unclear and tbh I wouldn't put it past Craft Stash to make them a different size just so they can sell more coordinating dies. There's a female Gnome with a plait that's very sweet :)

      Crafty hugs,
      Sarah xxx

      Delete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx