Translate

Tuesday 16 February 2016

I'm on a roll - another masculine card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook! I hope you've all had a brilliant Valentine's Day weekend. It's very cold with wintery showers here on the east coast which makes it perfect crafting weather. I've only got one card to share with you at the moment (there are a few ideas bubbling away in my brain though!). It was my dad-in-law's birthday yesterday and I made him a Split Panel Card inspired by Debbie Henderson's tutorial on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLD3ZFCWHg - please click the link to see the card that inspired mine.

Birthday Wishes Dad card
To make this card I cut a sheet of A4 black card stock down to 28 cm so it's easier to score exactly in half then cut it into two pieces length wise (cut at 10.5 cm). Although I cut the card down so I could score it at 14 cm it's not actually necessary to do so as you cut most of the front panel off. Just to mix things up a bit I do most of the other cutting in inches (sorry for the confusion). I lined the score line of the card base up to 2 inch mark on my Woodware paper trimmer and cut most of the front of the card off leaving a 2 inch flap. I trimmed the cut off piece down to 2 inches and placed on one side. There wasn't quite enough card left to make the connecting panel so I cut a strip off the spare black card from my first cut so I ended up with a panel 4 1/4 " by 2 ". I cut a panel of white card 13.5 cm x 10 cm (sorry back to metric) and adhered it to the inside of the cut down card blank leaving a small border around the panel. I cut two lots of matching patterned paper down to 4" by 1 3/4" and adhered them on to one of the cut black panels and on the top flap of the card. I cut a piece of white card to the same size and stuck it to the remaining black panel. I used the alphabet die that came with Die Cutting Essentials: Special Edition Kit to die cut the word DAD out of a scrap of the spotted paper and added it to the white and black panel as shown using a glue pen. I lined the patterned paper covered panel with the bottom edge of the card blank and held it in place with a paper clip then added strips of d/s tape to the bottom and top part of the DAD panel making sure that the middle part which goes over the inside of the card was free of tape. I removed all the backing paper from the tape and holding down the top flap, carefully lined the panel over the top and base before sticking it down as shown. I die cut a glittery star using gold glitter paper and a Sizzix Thinlets die "BE THANKFUL" (I think) and adhered it in the centre of the white panel. The gold foiled hearts were left over after using a Crafter's Companion Diesire A6 Create a Card Shining Star Metal Die. I stuck these down using either small foam pads or a dab of glue. I stamped a sentiment in the exposed panel on the right hand side of the card front as shown.

Inside of the card decorated with another diecut star and foiled stars

Card will comfortably stand up on it's own

I really like this new style card and it has a lot of possibilities for decoration, it's my brother-in-law's birthday at the beginning of next week so I shall make him a split panel card too but probably with Steam punk elements to it as I know he likes that sort of thing.

I hope you've enjoyed this card share and tutorial, please check out Debbie Henderson's YouTube to see what inspired me and if you are inspired by my take on it, then I'd love to see what you come up with. Please leave a link or any comments/questions in the usual places and I look forward to sharing another card with you soon. Until next time - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx