Both my sister and my sister-in-law have had birthdays in the past two weeks. My sister-in-law Susan loves dolphins so I decided to make her a dolphin pop up box card. I've been planning this card since about July which was when I first saw how to make pop up box cards. I started to order dolphin dies online ready to make this card.
I used about four different die sets for this card but I don't have them to hand at the moment so if you want to know what they are called please leave a comment below this blog post. The wave die was one from Clearly Besotted Stamps and I've had it in my stash unused for quite some time.
My sister Teresa asked for either a fairy card or a Steampunk themed card and I chose SP because the example of a fairy card that she emailed me was way beyond my craft stash - I have some fairy stamps but they tend to be cute and girly not Gothic and a bit slutty (unfortunately lol). I do however have a few dies and stamps in my stash (bought with Teresa in mind) that are SP themed. This is the card I came up with.
The card base is a Pop Up Aperture card that was featured in the QCME card school this month, unfortunately the limitations of my camera means I've not been able to take a photo that does justice to the card (sorry it's a bit blurry etc). This card took a long time to make it and I was actually working on it on and off for three days altogether. The butterfly and linked cog die cuts are very delicate and I had to cut them a few times before I was able to get a perfect cut. My card base wasn't exactly the same as that featured in Quick Cards Made Easy because I managed to misplace the magazine before I made the card. I had a general idea but my measurements are slightly different to the ones shown and unlike the cards in the mag, mine folded flat for postage because I used the floating topper as a fastener to keep the card closed. It just meant I had to make a slightly larger envelope than I was expecting. It wasn't until I found my magazine again that I realised that their versions didn't close. The other difference is the designer used clear fishing wire and I used thin jewellery wire to float my topper, because I used proper wire I was able to shape it slightly forward to make the closure. I don't tend to use a lot of gold in my crafting but I have some sheets of Dovecraft gold mirror card which is brilliant for diecutting and I thought I'd do shiny and new Steampunk instead of grungy Steampunk which I think my sister was expecting. If I were to make this card again I'd probably have black glitter card behind the Steampunk butterfly topper to match the front instead of the plain black cardstock. If you are interested in the products used for this card, then please leave a comment in the usual places.
I hope you like my sister cards, both were fun to make and I think both my sisters liked them. If you have any questions or comments then please leave them in the usual places and until next time - keep crafting!
Love and crafty hugs,