Translate

Saturday 19 September 2015

HOTP Steampunk Heart Card

Hello crafty peeps and welcome to my crafty nook. A while ago I was really excited to get my hands on one of the Hot Off The Press Colorist Steampunk colouring pads from Craft Stash (I think), I'll be honest with you when you add the £2.99 p&p is was rather an expensive buy but I really really wanted it and it was the last one in stock. It's been sitting on my desk for quite a while mainly because I wanted to hoard it a while but also because I've had a bit of a crafty slump the last week or so. Yesterday (the 18th) was the closing date for the National Cardmaker of the Year competition so I thought it was about time that I got my bum in gear and got on with the POTY entry. I didn't have anything in mind so just decided to have a play and go with the flow. The Steampunk pad was 'looking' at me so I decided to get my ProMarkers out and do a bit of colouring of one of the images and the steampunk heart grabbed my attention.


The uncoloured image
I decided to start on the flames, the example given on the pad is done in purple shades but I got some Sheena Douglass stamps a couple of weeks ago and one of them has a Phoenix rising from the flames and this inspired me to have flame wings behind the clockwork heart. I used three Promarkers to colour the wings; Mandarin, Pumpkin and Gold.

Wing coloured with Mandarin, Pumpkin and Gold Promarkers

Once the wings were coloured I started on the clockwork heart which I coloured in using Poppy and Red. The clock face was coloured with Cool Grey 1 Promarker. I wanted the gears and cogs to look metallic but don't like the effect you get using Metallic Promarkers so used a bronze metallic Gelly Roll Pen. The flourishes were coloured in with gold and the background of the central panel was coloured in using Burnt Umber Promarker. The outer background was coloured in using a black Flexmarker. I added Glossy Accents to the clock face and to the keyhole for a bit of shine and dimension. I added Dovecraft 3D Pearl Effects in Gold onto the ends of the flourish.

Finished Steampunk image

I layered my image onto black cardstock even though the background of the outer part of the image was coloured black because when I layered the image onto gold pearlised card it didn't 'pop'. I then layered it onto gold card,black and gold again. I cut a final square of black card to 7.5" square and added faux gold photo corners to it before adhering it to an 8" x 8" white card blank, I added the main image to this black layer using foam tape. I added splat marks to the whole card using Heidi Swapp Color Shine spray in Gold. I dabbed some of the spray off using kitchen paper for a more defused look. Finally I die cut some gears and cogs using a First Editions die set and added them around the raised panel. Some are flat but some are raised on foam pads.






Please excuse there being so many similar pictures of the card, I've actually started with a migraine as I'm writing this (thank goodness for learning how to touch type - but please excuse any typos!) and I've got the visual disturbances which has left me pretty much blind. It's my own fault, I got really excited about how lovely this card turned out and wanted to blog it straight away instead of going to sleep like a sensible person.

I'm not sure if this quite fulfills the criteria of this week's theme over at Passion for Promarkers which is "All the Trimmings" but I'm going to enter it anyway as I've used a lot of different elements and it has a lot of layers and dimension for me (I'm more a CAS kind of crafter). If it's not up to scratch I'm sure one of the design team will let me know and I'll remove it :)

If you have any questions then please leave them in the usual places and as always - keep crafting!

Love and crafty hugs,

Sarah xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah what an interesting and intricate card. Unfortunately however even though you have lots of embellishments and interesting items on your card we were looking for lace, ribbon, twine etc for our 'all the trimmings' challenge this week at PFP. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise sorry must have not noticed the description of "trimmings" on the post - I've removed my link from the PFP blog. Sarah

      Delete

I value your feedback and questions about this blog so please leave me a comment - let's spread the crafty love...

Sarah xxx